Development Coordinator Opening
The American Horticultural Society (AHS), a nonprofit national membership organization located in Alexandria, Virginia, is seeking a full time Development Coordinator.
The AHS has over 20,000 members across the country and around the world. Through membership in the Society, members receive a variety of benefits, including The American Gardener magazine, free or discounted admission to gardens and flower shows, an annual member’s seed exchange, and access to online educational resources. In addition, through membership dues and charitable contributions, members help support the Society’s vision of “making America a nation of gardeners, a land of gardens.” The Society’s headquarters is located at River Farm, a historic 25-acre property that showcases an artful blend of naturalistic and formal garden areas.
The role of the Development Coordinator is to support the day-to-day aspects of the organization’s efforts to achieve annual operating and capital revenue objectives. Primary responsibilities focus on: supporting the annual AHS Gala and other special events; coordinating key elements of the AHS Travel Study Program; orchestrating the production of solicitations and other mailings; and recording gifts and producing donor acknowledgements. The Development Coordinator will report to the Director of Development & Engagement and will work closely with the Executive Director, as well as other key staff, board members and volunteers.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Produce donor correspondence and appeals, including mail merge and supervision of volunteer workers
• Monitor inventory of brochures and other support materials
• Create templates for donor acknowledgements and reminders
• Coordinate donor-related information for publication in The American Gardener magazine
Data Management and Analysis
• Update and maintain donor records, including ongoing review of systems and practices
• Track gifts and pledges
• Process gift acknowledgements, renewal reminders, and pledge reminders
• Generate updates and activity reports as needed for program management as well as committee and board meetings
Development Programs and Initiatives
• Maintain cordial, professional, and service-oriented relations with volunteers and donors
• Support the annual gala, special events, and donor cultivation activities
• Coordinate administrative duties and traveler inquiries for the AHS Travel Study program
• Support the AHS President’s Council program
• Support the AHS Corporate Membership program
• Research and collaborate with other staff members on grant applications and grant stewardship
• Research prospects
• Constant assessment of all related business processes to insure efficiency, accuracy, and the highest level of member service
• Coordination of outside services that support development programs and initiatives
• Coordinate activities with other staff members to insure timely and accurate flow of information, efficient processes, and the highest level of member service
• Support development of related budgets, monitor performance to budget, and support annual audit
Other responsibilities may include assisting with special projects and membership activities or serving as a back-up for other programs of the Society.
Requirements include: Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Excellent writing, speaking, interpersonal, and organizational skills; demonstrated ability to work independently, set priorities, and manage concurrent tasks; strong customer service focus; proficiency with PC applications such as Word, Outlook, and Excel; an aptitude and willingness to become proficient with Raiser’s Edge database software. Preference will be given to candidates with related work experience, Raiser’s Edge proficiency and knowledge of the field of horticulture. Depending on program requirements, some evening and weekend work will be necessary.
To be considered, please send cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Sue Galvin, Executive Assistant
American Horticultural Society
7931 East Boulevard Drive
Alexandria, VA 22308
Position is open until filled. To find out more about the AHS, please visit www.ahs.org