Inspiring Gardens & Landscapes
See iconic vistas, experience gardens that capture the essence of Japanese culture, witness rare and exclusive cultural events, marvel at bonsai masterpieces, see 1,000-year-old trees, and get an insight into the intricate landscape and design philosophies of this ancient culture.
Our AHS hosts will be Holly and Osamu Shimizu. Holly is recently retired from her position as Executive Director of the U.S. Botanic Garden. Osamu is an accomplished landscape architect who spent the early years of his career in Japan. Both have traveled extensively, visiting gardens around the world.
Frances Roxburgh, a founding partner of Specialtours, will be our tour leader. She has worked closely with Holly and Osamu over the past year to craft an exceptional itinerary exclusively for this AHS tour.
- Explore Tokyo's Imperial Palace Gardens.
- Admire living masterpieces in the Shunka-en bonsai garden and museum.
- Behold the world's largest bronze statue of the Buddha.
- Experience Kenroku-en, one of Japan's finest landscape gardens.
- Be entertained by geisha in the ancient city of Kyoto -- a rare opportunity.
- Learn about traditional Japanese philosophies and landscape design sensibilities.
Our accommodations range from highly-rated hotels like the Ana Intercontinental Hotel in Tokyo, the Nikko Hotel in Kanazawa, the Hyatt Hotel in Kyoto, the Swissotel in Osaka, and the Benesse House Hotel in Naoshima, to distinctive ryokan inns in Hakone and Takayama, where we will have the opportunity to relax and enjoy traditional Japanese hospitality and culture.
For more information and to make reservations, please contact Susan Klejst, Director of Development & Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 768-5700 ext. 127.