American Horticultural Society
Assistant Manager, Development and Travel
This role supports the day-to-day activities of the organization’s Development and Travel Study program efforts to achieve annual operating and capital revenue goals. Primary responsibilities focus on data entry, recording gifts and producing donor acknowledgements, managing operational and administrative processes for the AHS Travel Study Program; and supporting the AHS Gala and other special events.
The Assistant Manager, Development and Travel reports to the Director of Development and Engagement with dotted line reporting to the Director of Travel Studies and will provide support to other key staff, board members, and volunteers.
About The American Horticultural Society
Founded in 1922, AHS is a national organization with approximately 22,000 members. Our national programs include the Great American Gardeners Awards, the National Children & Youth Garden Symposium, an educational travel program, and a Reciprocal Admissions Garden program, among others. The AHS publishes The American Gardener magazine six times per year as a primary membership benefit. The AHS website (www.ahsgardening.org) offers resources to horticulturists, gardeners, and other constituents. AHS maintains an active presence across multiple social media platforms.
The Society is headquartered at River Farm, a 25-acre historic garden property overlooking the Potomac River in Alexandria, VA. By joining the AHS’s outstanding team of professionals, you can help share the critical role of plants, gardens, and green spaces in creating healthy livable communities and a sustainable planet.
The duties of the Assistant Manager, Development and Travel include but are not limited to:
- In collaboration with Director of Development and Engagement, produce donor correspondence, including Raisers Edge exports, mail merges, and mailing production
- In collaboration with Director of Travel Studies, manage communications and transactions with AHS travelers and travel partners (tour operators, travel service providers, etc.)
- Facilitate monitoring email inboxes and assist in fielding inquiries
- Monitor inventory of brochures and other support materials
- Create templates for donor acknowledgements and reminders
- Coordinate information for publication in The American Gardener magazine
Data Management and Analysis
- Update and maintain donor and travel records in Raiser’s Edge
- Process gifts and gift acknowledgements, renewal reminders, and pledge reminders
- Generate traveler reporting to support Travel Study program initiatives. Develop annotated traveler notes for each program departure. Add annotated traveler notes created for each Travel Study program to Raiser’s Edge
- Generate reports as needed for program management as well as committee and board meetings
- Enter gifts from external platforms and sources, including travel, events, membership, and other sources
- Reconcile Raiser’s Edge contributions and entries with Finance monthly
Development and Travel Study Initiatives
- Maintain professional and service-oriented relations with volunteers and donors and monitor related business processes to ensure efficiency, accuracy, and the highest level of customer service
- Support the annual Gala, special events, and donor cultivation activities
- Support annual audit
- Coordinate processing of bookings and services in collaboration with travel partners to ensure seamless experience for travelers
- Manage processing and tracking of traveler payments and donations and support trip reconciliation process
- Assist in maintaining Travel Study program records and create invoices as needed
- Assist with travel marketing collateral review, i.e., assist with review of pricing and terms information
- Assist in preparations for Travel Study program departures, i.e., develop final Traveler packet mailings and supplies for AHS Host, participate in pre-trip development and logistical meetings
Development and Traveler Stewardship Programs
- Help ensure that members and sponsors receive all benefits
- Support stewardship and engagement efforts, i.e., assistance with donor gifts, travel gear, merchandise, etc
- Engage in regular trainings to keep abreast of the functionality and ability to leverage features in Raiser’s Edge to improve fundraising results and processes
- Coordinate activities with other staff members to ensure timely and accurate flow of information, efficient processes, and the highest level of member service
- Other responsibilities may include assisting with special projects and membership activities or serving as a back-up for Rentals and other programs of the Society
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or commensurate knowledge gained through work experience
- Exceptional communication and writing skills and demonstrated writing and/or editing experience
- Experience in membership organizations or with direct mail, a plus
- Interest in horticulture, gardening or the environment a must; demonstrated knowledge of horticulture or a related field gained through experience or education, a major plus
- Experience with Word, Outlook, and Excel. Experience with Blackbaud software and Raiser’s Edge database a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, set priorities, and manage concurrent tasks with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and verbal communications skills
The Assistant Manager, Development and Travel is a full-time salaried position that includes generous vacation, holidays, individual health, dental, vision, and 403b benefits. The position is onsite at our River Farm headquarters in Alexandria, VA. Compensation is $40,000-$45,000 depending on experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and thoughtful cover letter that describes your experience and interest to Katie Tukey, Director of Development & Engagement at email@example.com. Please submit all materials in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word only.