American Horticultural Society
Assistant Marketing Manager
The American Horticultural Society (AHS) seeks an Assistant Marketing Manager position to support membership acquisition and retention; enhance overall communications; leverage new platforms and media that strengthen brand awareness; and attract and engage new audiences. The position will work closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications to support the Development, Membership, National Programs, and Travel teams. The Assistant Marketing Manager will be responsible for supporting external and internal communication strategies and for assisting in the development and promotion of compelling stories about the AHS and its vision, its values and benefits to the individuals and organizations that care about its mission in the horticultural field, and its historic headquarters at River Farm.
About The American Horticultural Society
Founded in 1922, AHS is a national organization with approximately 22,000 members. Our national programs include the Great American Gardeners Awards, the National Children & Youth Garden Symposium, a Travel Study program, and a Reciprocal Admissions Garden program, among others. AHS publishes The American Gardener magazine six times per year as a primary membership benefit. The AHS website (www.ahsgardening.org) offers resources to horticulturists, gardeners, and other constituents. AHS maintains an active presence across multiple social media platforms.
The Society is headquartered at River Farm, a 25-acre historic garden property overlooking the Potomac River in Alexandria, VA. By joining AHS’s outstanding team of professionals, you can help share the critical role of plants, gardens, and green spaces in creating healthy livable communities and a sustainable planet.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications and collaborating closely with other AHS staff, the Assistant Marketing Manager helps to create and implement strategic, creative, and integrated marketing and communications campaigns across multiple media channels to (1) acquire and maintain members, (2) promote AHS’s national and regional programs (3) provide outreach to donors, and (4) engage the local community with AHS’s River Farm headquarters.
Specifically, the Assistant Marketing Manager will:
- Develop, coordinate, and implement annual communications and marketing plans to promote AHS’s mission and programs via website, social media posts, e-newsletters, and media relations.
- Coordinate and execute digital and direct mail membership campaigns
- Produce and post compelling content on our social media channels for AHS and River Farm to engage target audiences, increase event attendance, support online giving, and increase brand awareness.
- Monitor and respond to incoming comments and queries on social media and the website.
- Create and manage website content and updates.
- Plan, create, edit, and distribute mass e-mails and e-newsletters.
- Assist in gathering user data from web stats, social media, surveys, and e-newsletter reports.
- Plan and coordinate media relations campaigns, including maintaining press lists, composing and distributing press releases, event advisories, and calendar listings, developing and pitching stories, and responding to or redirecting inbound media inquiries.
- Develop external marketing collateral, including brochures, flyers, etc., with internal and external designers as needed.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, or a related field or commensurate knowledge gained through work experience.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in marketing or communications.
- Exceptional writing skills and demonstrated writing and/or editing experience.
- Experience producing e-newsletters.
- Professional social media experience – with a proven record for implementing and executing successful social media campaigns to foster interaction and community-building
- Website editing or development, specifically with WordPress.
- Experience in membership organizations or with direct mail, a plus.
- Skilled in graphic design, a plus.
- Interest in horticulture, gardening or the environment a must; demonstrated knowledge of horticulture or a related field gained through experience or education, a major plus.
- Experience with Blackbaud software and Raiser’s Edge database, a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, set priorities, and manage concurrent tasks with meticulous attention to detail.
- Familiarity with photo editing and optimization for web use, helpful.
- Experience creating and editing online videos and/or podcasts, a plus.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and verbal communications skills.
The Assistant Marketing Manager is a full-time salaried position that includes generous vacation, holidays, individual health, dental, vision, and 403b benefits. The position is onsite at our River Farm headquarters in Alexandria, VA. Compensation is $40,000-$45,000 depending on experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter that describes your experience and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit all materials in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word only.