Travel Studies Manager
The American Horticultural Society seeks an experienced Travel Studies Manager to direct, plan, market and oversee AHS’ Travel Studies program. The program provides mission-centered educational travel opportunities, generates revenue for AHS, and engages prospective members and major donors. The position reports to the Director of Development and will work closely with the Director of National Programs.
About the American Horticultural Society
AHS is a national organization with approximately 22,000 members. Our national programs include the Great American Gardeners Awards, National Children & Youth Gardening Symposium, Travel Study Tours, a Reciprocal Admissions Garden Program, and a bi-monthly magazine, The American Gardener. The Society is headquartered at River Farm, a 25-acre garden property overlooking the Potomac River in Alexandria, VA.
The American Horticultural Society’s Travel Study program provides travelers with exceptional itineraries that provide exclusive access to some of the world’s most beautiful public and private gardens. Itineraries are designed to provide the garden connoisseur with unique and highly customized once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
- Develops long-term strategic vision for the Travel Studies program
- Designs annual travel program, soliciting and reviewing proposals from tour partners, selecting appropriate dates, destinations and budgets to create an engaging menu of travel options
- Plans, operates and markets travel program, working with vendors, travel tour partners, hosts, travelers, customs, insurances, etc. in managing all aspects of planning trip itineraries
- Presents a plan for approval each April for next two fiscal year budgets
- Responsible for meeting revenue goals and monitoring the annual budget
- Maintains monthly, quarterly and annual financial dashboard
- Works closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications to create a print and online marketing plan for each trip
- Works with the Director of Development on strategies to achieve revenue goals and cultivate major donors
- Works with Director of National Programs to support travelers with travel materials, reading lists, etc.
- Establishes written standards, policies and procedures to guide travel program hosts and/or staff representatives
- Solicits feedback from travelers and donors to inform future trips and destinations and ensure customer satisfaction
- With the Director of Development, develops and implements an engagement plan for recent travelers
- Stays abreast of travel and tourism trends, plus critical health and safety issues impacting the travel program
- Serves as staff representative on one or more trips annually
- This position is supported by a Development Coordinator who is shared with the Director of Development
- Manages the annual garden tour for AHS’ President’s Council members to a U.S. destination
- Leverages the success of AHS’ international travel program to develop and launch a U.S. pilot travel program in 2023-24. Manages all aspects of planning and executing the pilot
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 10 years’ experience managing projects, meeting revenue goals, and implementing marketing plans
- 3+ years’ experience planning, operating, marketing and selling international tours
- Knowledge of travel industry, especially high-end garden programs
- Exceptional attention to customer service
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders and build long-term relationships
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience writing engaging copy for print and online marketing efforts
- Attention to detail, proven initiative, and ability to lead and collaborate effectively with external and internal stakeholders
- Ability to negotiate, influence, and lead external relationships
- Ability to work both independently, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside AHS.
- High energy and passion for AHS’ mission
- Strong people skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and high degree of patience
- Experience in a hospitality or customer service role, a plus
- Experience in nonprofit fundraising, a plus
The Travel Studies Manager is a full-time salaried position that includes generous vacation, holiday, individual health, dental, vision, and 403b benefits. Compensation will range from $60,000 – $70,000, depending on experience.
Candidates who meet requirements should send a cover letter and resume to Ms. Suzanne Laporte, CEO at email@example.com with the subject “Travel Studies Manager.” Please submit all materials in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word, only. The deadline for submitting materials is March 1, 2022. However, applications will be considered on a rolling basis so early submission is encouraged.
AHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or disability.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.