How We Got Started
AHS, as it is known today, is the result of combining three different horticultural groups, the (original) American Horticultural Society, the National Horticultural Society, and the American Horticultural Council. Each of these organizations was formed with a different intention, but in the interest of improving horticulture in America as both a science and an art form, the groups merged over the years.
For more information about AHS’s history, see the “AHS 80th Anniversary” articles that appeared in the 2002 issues of The American Gardener magazine. Click on the issues below to read about AHS over the years.
- January/February 2002 (Years from 1922 to 1938)
- March/April 2002 (From 1938 to 1947)
- May/June 2002 (From 1948 to 1960)
- July/August 2002 (From 1961 to 1972)
- September/October 2002 (From 1973 to 1987)
- November/December 2002 (From 1987 to 2002)