Oregon: The Gardens of Portland & the Farm-to-Table Bounty of the Willamette Valley
With AHS Hosts Holly and Osamu Shimizu
August 19 to 23, 2024
Reserve your place now. Click here for program brochure and registration details.
Embark on a unique AHS journey to Portland and the Willamette Valley, celebrating magnificent gardens, sustainable farming, and farm-to-table traditions. Discover the distinctive beauty of the Portland Japanese Garden, Lan Su Chinese Garden, and Oregon Garden. Learn about holistic land management at a Willamette Valley farm and enjoy a tasting and tour at a picturesque winery. Timed with the Swan Island Dahlia Festival, witness thousands of dahlias in peak bloom. Engage with local experts, including farmers, chefs, and a winemaker. Throughout, enjoy meals at hand-picked restaurants committed to sustainability and locally sourced, seasonal ingredients.
– Explore the lush beauty of Portland and the Willamette Valley with AHS Hosts Holly and Osamu Shimizu.
– Visit the renowned Portland Japanese Garden, the tranquil Lan Su Chinese Garden, and the fascinating Oregon Garden.
– Discover sustainable farming practices at a pasture-based farm in the Willamette Valley, showcasing holistic land management and the farm-to-table movement.
– Savor the fruits of the region’s vineyards with a tasting and tour at a picturesque winery in the Willamette Valley.
– At the Swan Island Dahlia Festival, enjoy a spectacular display of thousands of dahlias in peak bloom.
– Interact with knowledgeable local experts, including farmers, farm-to-table chefs, a winemaker, and the owner of one of Portland’s top nurseries, gaining insights into the area’s agriculture and horticulture.
– Indulge in delectable meals at restaurants known for their commitment to sustainable practices and use of locally sourced, seasonal ingredients.
Learn more about this program in a Q&A with trip leader Holly Shimizu and AHS’s Director of Travel Studies, Mercedes Bryant.