The Green Garage® at River Farm
American gardeners have many opportunities to make environmentally conscious decisions. The Green Garage® is an educational display at River Farm to showcase the tools, equipment, materials, and techniques that support sustainable gardening. The goal of the Green Garage® is to encourage gardeners to take a leading role as stewards of the earth by helping them make well-informed, responsible decisions about how they garden.
Watch the progress of the newly replanted garden here, and please help us improve this educational garden display by donating today.
We need $10,000 to complete the rejuvenation of this garden area. We need funding to: purchase more plants, complete structural repairs to the garage building, add more demonstration props, and update educational materials.
Tips from the Green Garage®
- Be a green consumer
- Use water efficiently
- Select the right tool for every job
- Recycle and minimize yard and kitchen waste
- Practice Integrated Pest Management [IPM]
- Take good care of your soil
- Design an earth-friendly garden with size-appropriate plants
- Protect yourself and the environment
- Be an informed gardener and keep records
- Be part of a green community
Renovating the gardens of the Green Garage®
One of our Horticultural Interns worked with our Horticulturist to redesign the overgrown gardens surrounding the Green Garage®. Watch them and our dedicated volunteers add the new plants (we pulled out the old ones before these latest photos).